ICC confirms Cuttack as new venue for Women World Cup
Mumbai: The ICC today confirmed that some of the Women cricket World Cup matches have been being relocated to the Odisha city of Cuttack but the summit clash of the mega event will be played in Mumbai as scheduled.
In the wake pf protest threats by Hindu Hardliner Shiv Sena, the organisers were forced to move the Group B matches, involving Pakistan team out of the Mumbai city.
The stand of the political outfit was the fall out of tension at the LoC, where two Indian soldiers were killed by Pakistani troops recently.
"The ICC Women`s World Cup 2013 will be staged in two India cities - with Mumbai still hosting the majority of games and some group and Super Six Stage matches being relocated to the Odisha city of Cuttack," an ICC release said.
Pakistan`s matches will be held at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack. The final remains scheduled for the Brabourne Stadium, in Mumbai on 17 February, the release added.
It will be interesting to see what happens if Pakistan qualify for the final of the eight-team tournament, beginning January 31.
"I am grateful for all the support ICC has received from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) during a difficult situation, which was not of cricket`s making. We are also indebted to the Odisha Cricket Association for making excellent grounds available at such short notice," ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire