ICC considering T20 cricket for Olympics
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Perth: International Cricket Council is mulling the idea of considering a bid to have cricket included in the Olympic Games, ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said on Saturday.
Twenty20 cricket has emerged as the shorter version of the game in recent years and has gained immense popularity since its inception. Speaking on the sidelines of the third Test between Australia and India in Perth, Lorgat said Twenty20 was the first international cricket format suitable for the Olympics. “We have never had a format that would lend itself to playing in the Olympics until Twenty20 came to the fore,” he said. “We are starting to have a look at that.”
Cricket has been played only once at the Olympics, in 1900, although it was not officially recognised as an Olympic sport until 12 years later.
The International Cricket Council (ICC), the sport`s world governing body, was officially recognised as a federation by the International Olympic Committee in 2010, meaning the ICC can bid to join the 2020 Games.
“In the strategic plan the board approved in 2011, we will evaluate properly what the benefits are for Olympic participation. There are pros and cons to that decision. We would need to see what the implications would be on the Cricket World Cup,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price