ICC considering T20 cricket for Olympics
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Perth: International Cricket Council is mulling the idea of considering a bid to have cricket included in the Olympic Games, ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said on Saturday.
Twenty20 cricket has emerged as the shorter version of the game in recent years and has gained immense popularity since its inception. Speaking on the sidelines of the third Test between Australia and India in Perth, Lorgat said Twenty20 was the first international cricket format suitable for the Olympics. “We have never had a format that would lend itself to playing in the Olympics until Twenty20 came to the fore,” he said. “We are starting to have a look at that.”
Cricket has been played only once at the Olympics, in 1900, although it was not officially recognised as an Olympic sport until 12 years later.
The International Cricket Council (ICC), the sport`s world governing body, was officially recognised as a federation by the International Olympic Committee in 2010, meaning the ICC can bid to join the 2020 Games.
“In the strategic plan the board approved in 2011, we will evaluate properly what the benefits are for Olympic participation. There are pros and cons to that decision. We would need to see what the implications would be on the Cricket World Cup,” he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?