ICC CWC 2015 name Ralph Waters as new chairman
Melbourne: Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket, the joint hosts of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, today appointed Ralph Waters as the new chairman of the Local Organising Committee for the tournament.
Waters, who was previously deputy chairman, was appointed following the demise of the inaugural chairman, James Strong AO, last week.
For the past decade, Waters has been one of New Zealand`s most prominent businessmen and is well placed to lead the Board of this major Trans-Tasman venture. He is the Chairman of Fletcher Building Limited and Woolworths Limited, and Director of Fonterra Co-Operative Limited and Asciano Limited.
Waters paid tribute to the leadership of Strong, saying: "Like myself, James had lived and worked in Australia and New Zealand and was determined to put on a truly world class tournament in 2015.
"I share his vision and will work closely with the ICC, Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket to deliver a successful tournament for cricket fans around the world," he said in a statement.
ICC president Alan Isaac echoed Waters` sentiments.
"James` passion and expertise will be missed by all of us. I know Ralph shares the same love for the game and together we will deliver a great tournament."
Wally Edwards (chairman, Cricket Australia), Chris Moller (chairman, New Zealand Cricket), James Sutherland (CEO, Cricket Australia) and David White (CEO, New Zealand Cricket) will continue to sit on the Board of the Local Organising Committee with the ICC sending representatives to each meeting as observers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened