ICC CWC 2015 name Ralph Waters as new chairman
Melbourne: Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket, the joint hosts of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, today appointed Ralph Waters as the new chairman of the Local Organising Committee for the tournament.
Waters, who was previously deputy chairman, was appointed following the demise of the inaugural chairman, James Strong AO, last week.
For the past decade, Waters has been one of New Zealand`s most prominent businessmen and is well placed to lead the Board of this major Trans-Tasman venture. He is the Chairman of Fletcher Building Limited and Woolworths Limited, and Director of Fonterra Co-Operative Limited and Asciano Limited.
Waters paid tribute to the leadership of Strong, saying: "Like myself, James had lived and worked in Australia and New Zealand and was determined to put on a truly world class tournament in 2015.
"I share his vision and will work closely with the ICC, Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket to deliver a successful tournament for cricket fans around the world," he said in a statement.
ICC president Alan Isaac echoed Waters` sentiments.
"James` passion and expertise will be missed by all of us. I know Ralph shares the same love for the game and together we will deliver a great tournament."
Wally Edwards (chairman, Cricket Australia), Chris Moller (chairman, New Zealand Cricket), James Sutherland (CEO, Cricket Australia) and David White (CEO, New Zealand Cricket) will continue to sit on the Board of the Local Organising Committee with the ICC sending representatives to each meeting as observers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack