ICC extends Bangladesh World T20 deadline
London: Bangladesh`s deadline for getting its stadiums ready for next year`s World Twenty20 has been extended until November 30, the International Cricket Council said Saturday after a two-day board meeting in London.
Concern has centred around the state of grounds at Sylhet and Cox`s Bazar, which are still being developed.
However, Bangladesh officials have insisted the pavilion at Sylhet, a major source of construction work, is close to completion.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board had been set a deadline of September 30 to have the stadia ready for next year`s tournament, with BCB president Nazmul Hasan saying in August he had "no doubt that the construction work will end by mid-October".
Next year`s World Twenty20 is due to take place in Bangladesh from March 16 to April 6.
An ICC statement issued after the London board meeting finished on Saturday said a tournament schedule would be announced in Dhaka on October 27.
The ICC board also endorsed the proposals of its chief executives` committee meeting in Dubai last month.
That saw officials agree that the number of reviews under the Decision Review System (DRS) will be "topped-up" to two after 80 overs of a Test innings.
Currently, teams are only permitted a maximum of two unsuccessful reviews per innings.
The new playing conditions, which will be trialled from October 1, came about following complaints about DRS procedures from both sides during England`s recent 3-0 home Ashes series win over arch-rivals Australia.
The board also upheld the CEC`s view that current playing conditions for one-day internationals remain in force.
In other announcements, the board said the post of ICC chairman would only come into being following next year`s annual conference.
The thinking behind the new post had been to turn the ICC president into a figurehead, with executive power now in the hands of the chairman.
However, the Cricinfo website reported that both the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) were seeking to dilute the proposed powers of the chairman, preferring his role to be reduced to that of a "convenor".
Afghanistan`s qualification for the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand led the ICC board to give the emerging nation an additional $1.1 million in funding through its Targeted Assistance Performance Programme.
Meanwhile the board confirmed the 2014 Under-19 World Cup will take place in the United Arab Emirates from February 14 to March 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter