ICC mourn sad demise of Tony Greig
Sydney: The ICC has offered its deep condolences on the sad demise of former England captain and celebrated commentator Tony Greig, who passed away after losing his battle with lung cancer here today.
ICC chief executive David Richardson expressed his sadness on hearing the news and said, "This is an extremely sad news for cricket and the ICC send their condolences to Tony`s family and in particular his wife Vivian."
"Tony played a significant part in shaping modern cricket as a player in the 1970s and then provided millions of cricket lovers with a unique insight as a thoughtful and knowledgeable commentator ? primarily for the Nine Network in Australia," Richardson added.
Richardson said that Greig`s wise words will be missed by cricketers, administrators and spectators around the world.
"I met with him on several occasions during the recent ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka where he was a senior commentator for our broadcast partner ESS. He was also a regular visitor to the ICC offices in Dubai when commentating for Ten Sports.
I am sure that I will not be alone in saying that he and his wise words will be missed by cricketers, administrators and spectators around the world," he said.
The ICC CEO described Greig as one of the leading all-rounders of his generation.
"His figures in Test matches show that he was one of the leading all-rounders of his generation with a batting average of above 40 and a bowling average around 32."
The 66-year-old Grieg breathed his last at a hospital here after being brought in a critical condition.
He was diagnosed with lung cancer in October this year after undergoing treatment for what was initially thought to be bronchitis in May.
He underwent tests after the World Twenty20 Championships in Sri Lanka and it was revealed that there was a small lesion at the base of his right lung.
In his 58-match Test career, Greig scored 3,599 runs at an average of 40.43 and picked up 141 wickets.
He slammed eight centuries during his Test career. In 22 ODIs that he played, Greig scored 269 runs and managed 19 wickets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city