ICC proposal for day-night Test matches gathers strength
Karachi: Day-night Test matches moved a step closer to acceptance after cricket’s governing body endorsed a trial first class match in Pakistan held under lights with a coloured ball.
“I don’t see any problems with the behaviour of the ball or playing under lights. This match would help us in our proposal to see Test cricket under lights,” International Cricket Council general manager of cricket affairs Dave Richardson told Geo news channel.
Richardson watched some of the five-day Quaid-e-Azam trophy final at the National stadium between the country’s two top teams.
The match was played under floodlights in a bid to attract crowds and raise the profile of Pakistan’s domestic cricket.
A pink ball has been used in trials in England, Australia and West Indies which would enable players to wear white clothing under floodlit conditions with white sightscreens.
The traditional red ball is difficult to see properly under lights. White balls are used successfully in day-night one-day matches but the players wear coloured clothing and black sightscreens are employed.
“The good thing is that this final has shown that it is possible to play first class and Test matches in a day-night format with orange color balls,” former captain and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) director-general of cricket Javed Miandad told reporters at the national stadium.
“But as far as the International Cricket Council is concerned it is up to them how they approach this new concept which can be done.
Miandad said that the PCB would send its report to the ICC after going through the reports of the captains and match officials.
“The good thing is that on all five days we got no complaints from anyone about playing in this format being difficult,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH