ICC says no evidence of fixing in Oval ODI

Last Updated: Oct 14, 2010, 10:20 AM IST

Dubai: The International Cricket Council on Wednesday said there was no "compelling evidence" into allegations that the Oval ODI between England and Pakistan was fixed.

The ICC had decided to probe the last month`s match, which Pakistan won by 23 runs, after a British tabloid passed on some information to the world governing body.

The ICC had said that a "certain scoring pattern" emerged during the match as has been reported by the newspaper but had made it clear that no England player was involved.

"Following extensive investigations into allegations about the One-Day International between England and Pakistan at The Oval in London on 17 September, the ACSU has verified all the available information and concluded that there was no compelling evidence to suspect individual players or support staff," a statement after the ICC Board meeting here said.

"The investigation is now complete but if new and corroborating evidence comes to light then clearly the ACSU will re-open the matter," the statement added.

The allegations emerged after the paper was notified of calls between a Dubai-based match-fixer and a New Delhi bookmaker, the newspaper report added.

Pakistan`s three cricketers -- Salman Butt, Mohammed Asif and Mohammad Aamer -- were suspended provisionally by the ICC following allegations that they took bribe from a bookie for spot-fixing.

It was alleged that the pace duo bowled deliberate no-balls during the Lord`s Test.

The players have appealed against the charges and a hearing will be conducted by the ICC.

PTI

Tags: