Zee Media Bureau
Mirpur: A treble chasing India will lock horns with their Asian neighbours, Sri Lanka in the 2014 ICC World Twenty20 final on Sunday. Let`s have a look at five players who can change the fortunes of their respective teams with their virtuoso performance on Sunday.
1. Virat Kohli: The prodigious Indian middle-order batsman has been the main reason for India`s unbeaten run in the tournament. With 242 runs from his five innings, at an astonishing average of 121, Kohli is the leading run-getter. A sublime innings in the T20 World Cup final will reaffirm his stature as the world`s leading batsman. His records while chasing has already become a legend, and whoever wins the toss today, the Kohli-factor will have a bearing in deciding – to bat or not to bat first?
2. Ravichandran Ashwin: The Chennai-born offie has come to the fore in important matches for Team India. His 3 for 22 against South Africa in the semi-final helped India restrict the Proteas to a manageable total. Indian skipper, MS Dhoni will rely heavily of Aswhin`s role as the strike bowler against the Lankans. With three more wickets, he will become tournament`s leading wicket-taker. Besides his tricks with the ball, the spinner is more than a capable hand with bat too.
3. Lasith Malinga: The Slinger is already a proven match-winner, especially in this format of the game. He has won many matches single-handedly for Sri Lanka and the semi-final victory over West Indies was one such performance. The two-over spell from the fiery-pacer turned the match in the favour of two-time finalists. And the stand-in skipper will be ever more hungrier for a go against India – a team, chasing an unprecedented treble of ICC crowns.
4. Mahela Jayawardene: The veteran Sri Lankan batsman has outscored his younger team-mates in the tournament. His 89-run knock against England, in a losing cause, showed why he is still considered as one of the premier batsmen in any format of the game. Having already announced his retirement, lifting the trophy in his final essay will glorify the elegant batsman even more.
5. Yuvraj Singh: Despite his below-par performance so far in this tournament, no one can discount Yuvraj Singh – for his sheer ability to change the course of a match in a blink. Famous for his knock-out punches, with either bat or ball, the south-paw may well prove the trump-card for Team India in the final. Regarded as one of the most experienced T20 players around, his mere presence will uplift the team spirit.
Besides the aforementioned stars, both the teams have a line-up of performers who can steal the show on their day. Players like Rohit Sharma, Kumar Sangakkara, Thisara Parera, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Ravindra Jadeja and Suresh Raina are some of the players who can help their respective teams with the tournament with their individual performances.