Asia Cup win over India must benefit Pakistan in World T20: Rameez Raja
Karachi: Former Pakistan skipper Rameez Raja feels India will be under greater pressure when they take on Pakistan in their Twenty20 World Cup league match in Dhaka on March 21, as they would be keen to avenge their Asia Cup defeat.
"Many pundits believe that the way India lost the Asia Cup match in the final over it has left a scar on them just like Javed Miandad`s last ball six in Sharjah did many years ago," Rameez told `Geo Super channel`.
"I recall after Miandad`s six India never beat us in Sharjah, and I think Pakistan should take advantage of the Asia Cup win when they play in the World T20 Cup," he added.
Rameez said although India would be strengthened with the return of skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, hard-hitting batsman Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina, there would more psychological pressure on them.
"Remember these players, especially Yuvraj and Raina have not been in great form off late, so there will a lot of pressure on them to deliver," he said.
Rameez urged the Pakistan team management to take full advantage of their Asia Cup win.
"I think in every team meeting they should recall that victory and create more self-belief in themselves. Especially before the India match. Pakistan goes into this match with a definite advantage," he insisted.
Rameez also felt that the World T20 would be won by a team from the Asian bloc as the conditions and pitches suited them better than the others.
"Teams like Australia, England and New Zealand depend heavily on their pace bowlers and I don`t think conditions in this World T20 will suit them much," he said.
Rameez said while the selection of players like Kamran Akmal and Shoaib Malik for the World T20 was a point of debate as there was a general consensus that shortest format was for the younger cricketers, but he felt their presence would prove good for Pakistan.
"I hope they can win matches for Pakistan because if you look at other teams they are also now bringing in experience. Because you can`t totally depend on youth. I think Kamran and Malik will add balance to the side," said Rameez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM