Australia send Mitchell Johnson home to rest
CAPE TOWN: Australia have withdrawn fast bowler Mitchell Johnson from their Twenty20 squad in South Africa and sent him home to rest before the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh, Cricket Australia said on Thursday.
Johnson left Cape Town just 24 hours after making a major contribution to the test series win over South Africa and will miss the three T20 matches against the Proteas starting on Sunday.
Moises Henriques will stay on in South Africa as his replacement.
"Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up," Australia coach Darren Lehmann said in a statement.
"He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh."
Australia`s first match of the World Twenty20 is against Pakistan in Dhaka on March 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday