Australia send Mitchell Johnson home to rest
CAPE TOWN: Australia have withdrawn fast bowler Mitchell Johnson from their Twenty20 squad in South Africa and sent him home to rest before the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh, Cricket Australia said on Thursday.
Johnson left Cape Town just 24 hours after making a major contribution to the test series win over South Africa and will miss the three T20 matches against the Proteas starting on Sunday.
Moises Henriques will stay on in South Africa as his replacement.
"Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up," Australia coach Darren Lehmann said in a statement.
"He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh."
Australia`s first match of the World Twenty20 is against Pakistan in Dhaka on March 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA