Bangladesh pick Razzak, Sabbir for World Twenty20
Dhaka: Seasoned spinner Abdur Razzak and young batsman Sabbir Rahman were on Monday named in Bangladesh`s squad for the World Twenty20 which the country hosts from March 16.
Razzak, 31, who has 39 wickets from 28 matches in the sport`s shortest version, had missed last week`s Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka due to a hamstring injury.
Sabbir, 22, was picked for the world event after making 26 on his Twenty20 debut in Chittagong on Friday. The right-hander has hit six half-centuries in domestic T20 cricket.
Chief selector Faruque Ahmed said the 15-man squad, led by wicket-keeper Mushfiqur Rahim, was a "blend of experience and youth".
"We have considered the fact that this is a world event and experience was necessary, but it is also an opportunity to give youngsters a chance," Ahmed said in a cricket board release.
"We have a lot of depth in our bowling. In our conditions, spin will be the main strength and we are well covered in that area with Shakib Al Hasan, Razzak and Sohag Gazi.
"I also believe this is an excellent fielding side." Bangladesh, ranked 10th in the world, have been drawn with Afghanistan, Nepal and Hong Kong in group A of the preliminary round.
The other group comprises Zimbabwe, Ireland, the United Arab Emirates and the Netherlands. The top team from each group advances to the main tournament.
Bangladesh play the event opener against Afghanistan in Dhaka on March 16.
Mushfiqur Rahim (capt), Tamim Iqbal, Anamul Haque, Shamsur Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Mominul Haque, Nasir Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Mohammad Mahmudullah, Abdur Razzak, Sohag Gazi, Mashrafe Mortaza, Farhad Reza, Rubel Hossain, Al-Amin Hossain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?