England`s Wright ruled out of World T20 with injury
Mirpur: England all-rounder Luke Wright was ruled out of the World Twenty20 with a side strain on Saturday while recuperating Australian James Faulkner will miss Sunday`s super 10 match against Pakistan.
Barely hours before the already-depleted English side begin their Super 10 campaign against New Zealand in Chittagong, 29-year-old Wright joined Joe Root and Ben Stokes in being forced out of the former winners` squad with injury.
"The Event Technical Committee ... has approved Craig Kieswetter as a replacement player for Luke Wright in the England men`s squad," the International Cricket Council said in a statement.
Like Wright, South Africa-born Kieswetter was part of England`s 2010 World Twenty20 winning side.
Faulkner`s wait on the sidelines also got prolonged as the 23-year-old continues to recover from a knee surgery which forced him out of Australia`s test tour of South Africa.
"He will miss tomorrow`s game," Australia captain George Bailey told reporters, still optimistic that the bowling all-rounder would play a pivotal role in the tournament and beyond.
"I think his record is pretty handy in Twenty20. He`s certainly played a huge role in Twenty20 and one-day teams since his debut.
"He`s a really important player for us, he`s really versatile, adds another dimension to our team. We are just monitoring him. I think the way he plays, he`d become more and more important to us as the tournament progresses."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam