Fletcher joins Team India for T20 World Cup
Mirpur: Under-fire coach Duncan Fletcher on Saturday joined the Indian team for the Twenty20 World Cup after having had discussions about his future with BCCI president N Srinivasan and secretary Sanjay Patel.
"Duncan Fletcher arrived this morning. Bowling coach Joe Dawes and fielding coach Trevor Penny had arrived last night. The squad strength, including players and support staff, is 26," Indian team`s media manager R N Baba told PTI here.
Fletcher had been summoned by Srinivasan for a meeting in Chennai yesterday to discuss the team`s sagging performances of late but no warning was issued to him that his job was on line despite calls for his ouster from batting icon like Sunil Gavaskar.
"Let me set the record straight. Duncan Fletcher has the wholehearted backing and support of BCCI. There has been no discussion on his removal. We told him that we have a lot of faith in his coaching abilities and he should not be worried about anything else," Patel had told PTI.
"There is no truth in reports that Fletcher was given a warning by the president (Srinivasan)," Patel added.
The Indian team will be training at the Fatullah Stadium in the outskirts of the city tomorrow. They will open their campaign against arch-rivals Pakistan on March 21.
Hosts Bangladesh will kick start the three-week long T20 extravaganza with their qualifying game against Afghanistan at the Shere Bangla Stadium here tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation