KCA keen to host IPL matches in Kochi
Kochi: While the Centre is yet to take a call on allowing the second leg of IPL in India in view of the general elections, the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) has evinced interest in hosting some of the matches at the Jawaharlal Nehru International stadium here.
The BCCI has chosen the UAE and Bangladesh as overseas venues for the seventh season of the IPL, while the final leg will be held in India between May 13 and June 1 after the elections are over.
KCA President T C Mathew told reporters here that he had handed over a letter from the BCCI Secretary to Kochi Police Commissioner, enquiring about the police bandobast which can be provided during the IPL matches.
"Unofficially we discussed with state Home minister, Ramesh Chennithala and police officials and they have responded positively," he said.
The opinion of the franchisees will also be taken before finalising on Kochi as the venue. The IPL Governing council is meeting in Chennai tomorrow, Mathew said. Kochi Mayor, Tony Chammany and chairman of Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA), Venugopal have also responded positively, he added.
In Kerala, the Lok Sabha polls will be over by April 10 and the post-election scenario is also normally peaceful, which could work in the state`s favour.
The stadium has a capacity to accomodate about 75,000 spectators. Kochi had hosted five IPL matches in 2011 when Kochi Strikers Kerala was one of the teams in the league.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'