KCA keen to host IPL matches in Kochi
Kochi: While the Centre is yet to take a call on allowing the second leg of IPL in India in view of the general elections, the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) has evinced interest in hosting some of the matches at the Jawaharlal Nehru International stadium here.
The BCCI has chosen the UAE and Bangladesh as overseas venues for the seventh season of the IPL, while the final leg will be held in India between May 13 and June 1 after the elections are over.
KCA President T C Mathew told reporters here that he had handed over a letter from the BCCI Secretary to Kochi Police Commissioner, enquiring about the police bandobast which can be provided during the IPL matches.
"Unofficially we discussed with state Home minister, Ramesh Chennithala and police officials and they have responded positively," he said.
The opinion of the franchisees will also be taken before finalising on Kochi as the venue. The IPL Governing council is meeting in Chennai tomorrow, Mathew said. Kochi Mayor, Tony Chammany and chairman of Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA), Venugopal have also responded positively, he added.
In Kerala, the Lok Sabha polls will be over by April 10 and the post-election scenario is also normally peaceful, which could work in the state`s favour.
The stadium has a capacity to accomodate about 75,000 spectators. Kochi had hosted five IPL matches in 2011 when Kochi Strikers Kerala was one of the teams in the league.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi