Lankans set for big celebrations after ICC World Twenty20 triumph
Colombo: War-scarred Sri Lanka is all set for delirious celebrations after the country`s cricketers lifted their first world title in 18 years, beating India in the World Twenty20 final clash in Bangladesh.
Sri Lanka defeated India by six wickets in the summit clash to lift their World Cup title after the 1996 ODI trophy.
A congratulating media hailed the win as a "fitting farewell" to former skippers Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara, who called time on their Twenty20 careers.
The team is due to meet President Mahinda Rajapakse upon arriving in the country. The players, who were locked in a contractual dispute with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) for some time, are expected to get a heroes` welcome on returning to the country.
The `Daily Mirror` newspaper said the triumph was ideal send off to Sangakkara and Jayawardene.
"Sangakkara and Jayawardene ended their T20 international careers with a dream script, playing the team`s best two innings as Sri Lanka ended their world title drought in style," the paper said.
Rajapakse, who called the team`s players after the triumph, did not visit Bangladesh to see the final and many observers of the game felt it ended up being good for the team`s players.
Rajapakse was in the stands when the team lost the last World T20 tournament and the final of the 2007 and 2011 World Cups.
"Given bad omens of the past, Lankan fans wished President Mahinda Rajapakse to watch the hot final from Sri Lanka (rather) than from Mirpur, Bangladesh," the private Daily FT paper said.
"Thankfully, the president was busy opening a five-star hotel outside Colombo," the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened