Lankans set for big celebrations after ICC World Twenty20 triumph
Colombo: War-scarred Sri Lanka is all set for delirious celebrations after the country`s cricketers lifted their first world title in 18 years, beating India in the World Twenty20 final clash in Bangladesh.
Sri Lanka defeated India by six wickets in the summit clash to lift their World Cup title after the 1996 ODI trophy.
A congratulating media hailed the win as a "fitting farewell" to former skippers Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara, who called time on their Twenty20 careers.
The team is due to meet President Mahinda Rajapakse upon arriving in the country. The players, who were locked in a contractual dispute with Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) for some time, are expected to get a heroes` welcome on returning to the country.
The `Daily Mirror` newspaper said the triumph was ideal send off to Sangakkara and Jayawardene.
"Sangakkara and Jayawardene ended their T20 international careers with a dream script, playing the team`s best two innings as Sri Lanka ended their world title drought in style," the paper said.
Rajapakse, who called the team`s players after the triumph, did not visit Bangladesh to see the final and many observers of the game felt it ended up being good for the team`s players.
Rajapakse was in the stands when the team lost the last World T20 tournament and the final of the 2007 and 2011 World Cups.
"Given bad omens of the past, Lankan fans wished President Mahinda Rajapakse to watch the hot final from Sri Lanka (rather) than from Mirpur, Bangladesh," the private Daily FT paper said.
"Thankfully, the president was busy opening a five-star hotel outside Colombo," the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi