Mishra credits Dhoni`s advice for success
Mirpur, Mar 22 (PTI) India leg-spinner Amit Mishra said his success in the World Twenty20 opener against Pakistan was a result of some sound advice by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who asked him to maintain an attacking line.
"I am not afraid of flighting the ball because I always think about taking wickets and not restricting the batsmen. I believe you can never succeed trying to stop the flow of runs instead of trying to take wickets. If you try to take wickets, you can put pressure on the batsman," Mishra told reporters at post-match conference after India thrashed Pakistan by seven wickets here last night.
He said Dhoni`s tips were of great help as the skipper has always encouraged him to stay true to his strengths.
"The captain (Dhoni) always tells me that I should try to spin the ball as that is my strength. He tells me that I have the ability to beat the batsman in flight. That`s how I got Ahmed Shehzad and Shoaib Malik out today. In T20 cricket, more variations you have, the more advantageous position you are in," said Mishra who was adjudged man-of-the-match for his effort of 2/22.
The Haryana leggie felt staying positive during his prolonged period at the bench helped him perform in the high-pressure match.
"I was never down on confidence when I was not playing. The key is to remain positive and I tried to shut out negative things. In our team, the good thing is that everyone is told to remain ready as anyone could be called. When you get your chance, you need to grab it with both hands," he said.
Mishra said having done well against Pakistan in the last Asia Cup game also helped him a lot.
"It`s always a special feeling to perform against a side like Pakistan. I bowled well against them in the last Asia Cup and that also helped. There is always a pressure of playing against Pakistan but I would never say extra pressure. That is always there when you are representing your country," he said.
He said that during his time at the bench, he has worked really hard to improve upon his fitness.
"I have worked on my fitness during the gym sessions. However I don?t agree with the critics that I am slow through the air. I am still working on my bowling talking to the coaches, captain and the senior players."
Mishra has played only two T20 Internationals but has an experience of playing more than 100 (117 T20 matches) in all, with bulk of them coming in the IPL.
"Obviously, IPL has helped a lot to improve my bowling having competed with the best batsmen in the world. In fact, most of the talent in Indian cricket is coming through IPL as it is providing an ideal platform to the talented players," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks