NZ eye big win against Netherlands
Chittagong: New Zealand find themselves with a great opportunity to get their campaign back on track and better their net run rate in a tough Group 1 when they take on minnows Netherlands in their next league match of the ICC World Twenty20, here on Saturaday
After having defeated England by nine runs via Duckworth-Lewis method in their rain-marred tournament opener, New Zealand suffered a narrow two-run loss at the hands of South Africa in their next match to be placed third in Group 1, which is being headed by Sri Lanka followed by South Africa on four points apiece.
But come tomorrow, the Kiwis will be eyeing a big win over the Dutchmen to improve their position ahead of their final group league encounter against Sri Lanka.
The Kiwis only had themselves to blame for the loss against South Africa as chasing a challenging 171-run target, they were well on course towards a victory before South African pace spearhead Dale Steyn single-handedly changed the complexion of the game with a brilliant final over.
Needing just seven runs for a win off six balls with five wickets in hand, New Zealand made a heavy weather of the task as Steyn produced a breathtaking final over to restrict the Kiwis to 168 for eight.
Still smarting from that loss, the Kiwis would be desperate to give a fillip to their campaign with a resounding win over the Netherlands tomorrow.
But New Zealand can`t afford to take Netherlands lightly as the Dutchmen gave South Africa a mighty scare yesterday.
Coming into the match against South Africa after suffering one of the heaviest T20 defeats in the history of the game, Netherlands dished out a commendable performance against fancied South Africa yesterday.
Netherlands first rode on pacer Ahsan Jamil`s career-best figures of five for 19 to restrict South Africa to 145 for nine before falling short of a memorable win by just six runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!