Runs for Sehwag, Gambhir as Delhi beat Himachal by 6 wickets
Mohali: Out-of-favour India openers Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir found some form going their way as Delhi got the better of Himachal Pradesh by six wickets in a Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy T20 match for North Zone on Tuesday.
Sehwag smashed 42 off 32 balls, while the left-handed captain Gambhir made a 40-ball 41, helping Delhi complete the chase of 134 with 10 deliveries to spare at the Punjab Cricket Association stadium.
Sehwag hit five fours and a six, and Gambhir found the fence six times, the knocks doing their confidence a world of good.
Chasing a modest target, Delhi were off to a flier as both Sehwag and Gambhir tore apart the Himachal bowling attack with consummate ease.
With their two experienced campaigners looking in good touch from the word go, the target proved to be too small for Delhi and barring left-arm spinner Bipul Sharma (2/28), none of the Himachal bowlers could pose any sort of challenge whatsoever.
The two put on 82 runs for the opening wicket in 11.1 overs before Sehwag was sent back by Gurvinder Singh. Gambhir followed 13 runs later, falling to Aksahy Chauhan to leave Delhi at 95 for two.
Unmukt Chand and Mithun Manhas fell in quick succession, leaving it on Rajat Bhatia (13) and Milind Kumar (22) to complete the task.
Earlier, Delhi had won the toss and opted to bowl, a decision that seemed to have paid as Himachal were struggling at 10 for two in the second over itself.
After being reduced to 41 for three at one stage, skipper Paras Dogra (40 not out off 41 balls) steadied the ship and, in the company of Nikhil Gangta (29) took Himachal to a modest total against their formidable opponents.
Rishi Dhawan (27) played a cameo towards the end to give Himachal the much-needed thrust, which though was not enough in the end.
For Delhi, pacer Ishant Sharma was the pick of the bowlers, returning figures of 2/22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical