Shahid Afridi to join Pakistan squad for T20 World Cup late: Source
Karachi: All-rounder Shahid Afridi may join the Pakistan squad late for the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh due to a groin injury he sustained during the recent Asia Cup tournament.
A reliable source in Pakistan Cricket Board said that the team management had been informed that Afridi would not accompany the team which will leave for Bangladesh on Thursday night.
"He will not leave with the team on Thursday night as the Board first wanted him to be cleared in a fitness test by the medical panel before he can join the team for the World T20 Cup," the source told PTI.
Afridi, who was the toast of the nation after powering Pakistan to victories over India and Bangladesh in the Asia Cup, sustained the groin injury in the match against Bangladesh.
The team`s cricket consultant Zaheer Abbas confirmed that Afridi played in the Asia Cup final against Sri Lanka after taking pain killer injections.
"Yes, he was not 100 per cent fit because of his injury but he took pain killer injections and was keen to play and being a senior player who is in form, we took a chance with him," Abbas said.
The source said that after the team returned home from Bangladesh, the trainer had informed the Board that he had advised Afridi against training or running because of his groin injury.
The Board has now decided that Afridi would skip the initial part of the T20 World Cup, including the warm up matches, and join the team after resting and recovering from his groin problem, the source said.
Afridi on returning home said he was disappointed at the defeat in the final but Pakistan had done well to beat India.
"There is no doubt that we need to improve in all departments of the game because we have a very good chance of winning the T20 World Cup," Afridi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone