Sri Lanka axe Chandimal as T20 captain
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s cricket selectors on Wednesday sacked Dinesh Chandimal as Twenty20 captain and replaced him with Lasith Malinga, while Angelo Mathews was retained as the Test and one-day skipper.
Chandimal, 24, opted out of the last three matches, including the semi-final and final, of the recent World Twenty20 in Bangladesh due to poor batting form, leaving Malinga in charge.
Sri Lanka went on to beat the West Indies in the semi-final and India in the final to win their first major title since 1996 when they bagged the 50-over World Cup.
All-rounder Mathews was retained as the Test and one-day captain till the end of next year`s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, a release from Sri Lanka Cricket said.
Lahiru Thirimanne, a 24-year-old left-hand batsman, was promoted to vice-captain in all three formats, the release added.
Sri Lanka have yet to appoint a new coach after Englishman Paul Farbrace resigned on Tuesday to take up a possible assignment with England.
Farbrace, 46, has been linked to the post of assistant coach to Peter Moores, who was named England`s chief coach last week replacing Zimbabwean Andy Flower.
Sri Lanka are due to play two one-day matches against Ireland in Dublin early next month ahead of a tour of England that comprises one T20 international, five one-dayers and two Tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!