Virat Kohli`s purple patch can give India their second World Twenty20 title
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Dhaka: The most consistent batsman in Team India, Virat Kohli, played crucial knocks for his side in the first two matches of World Twenty20.
In the their opening match against arch-rivals Pakistan, Kohli added unbeaten 66-run partnership with Suresh Raina for the fourth wicket, to help India start their World Twenty20 campaign on a winning note.
Then in the next game against defending champions West Indies, the Delhi batsman once again delivered for India. Kohli smashed a brisk fifty, to make his team victorious at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
While chasing a small total of 130 runs, India lost their opener Shikhar Dhawan in the first over, as spinner Samuel Badree trapped the southpaw in front of the wicket, for a third-ball duck.
After losing the first wicket early, walked in India`s in form regular number three Virat Kohli. In the third over of the innings, Kohli smashed the dangerous looking Badree for a boundary and then for a six to collect twelve runs from the over. Kohli then smashed two back-to-back boundaries off Krishmar Santokie in the next over and pushed Windies on the back-foot.
With opener Rohit Sharma, the new run-machine of Team India, Kohli started toying with the Caribbean bowlers and dictated the terms by scoring boundaries every now and then. In the 13th over, Kohli completed his fifty off 34 balls, laced with five boundaries and a six.
Kohli- Sharma stitched 106-run stand for the second wicket. And by the time Kohli`s 54-run knock came to an end, it was just a formality for India to win the match, as they required mere 23 runs off 32 balls.
Kohli`s fifty helped India to register a comprehensive victory over West Indies by seven wickets, who are certainly one of the most dangerous sides in the shortest format of the game.
As Kohli is going through a purple patch, he might make a difference in this tournament for the `Men in Blue`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why