Windies captain, coach back Russell to perform
Bridgetown (Barbados): West Indies captain Darren Sammy and coach Ottis Gibson have backed Andre Russell to excel in his new role as the Jamaican all-rounder struggles to fill the slot made vacant by injured Kieron Pollard.
In the recent Twenty20 International series against Ireland and England, Russell was used at the No.6 spot in an attempt to compensate for Pollard’s absence. However, he failed to provide the explosive power with scores of just 15, 8, 24 not out, 2 and 0.
But despite the failures, Sammy said Russell had the team’s full support and would continue in the position as the West Indies prepare for the defence of their World Twenty20 title in Bangladesh.
“We have to give players that confidence. It’s been five games since he’s been tried in that role. It’s a big gap to fill. Pollard knew his game inside out and was very experienced. If Russell goes and gets the job done then I’m always there at the back end to do it,” Sammy said.
“There may be situations in the last five overs where I will have to go and we’ll have to make that decision then but as for now I, the coaching staff are backing him to do the job and we believe he is going to deliver. If he doesn’t, then I back myself to come and finish the job.”
Russell has emerged as a powerful hitter in the limited overs format and was key to Jamaica Tallawahs winning the inaugural 2013 Caribbean Premier League.
Gibson said he was confident Russell could rediscover his form but added the player needed time to adjust to the role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE