World Twenty20: Ireland beat UAE by 21 runs in rain-affected match
Sylhet: Ireland bolstered their chances of making it to the Super-10 after a disciplined bowling effort helped them post a 21-run win over United Arab Emirates under the Duckworth-Lewis method in a rain-affected Group B qualifying match of the ICC World T20, here on Wednesday.
Ireland`s second victory in as many matches have put them on top of their group, ahead of the Netherlands and Zimbabwe, who have won a match each out of two. Ireland were 103 for three in 14.2 overs in pursuit of UAE`s modest 123 for six when the heavens opened up.
Under the D/L method, 83 was the par score for Ireland when it started raining. Skipper William Porterfield (33 not out) and Ed Joyce (43) put on 80 runs for Ireland after opener Paul Sterling (8) was retired hurt.
Sterling was hit on his elbow when he tried to pull Sharif Asadullah in the first over of the innings. He hit two fours of the same bowler before the pain became unbearable, forcing him to retire.
Invited to bat, UAE openers started well putting on 35 runs in five overs, before Faizan Asif was run out. Shaiman Anwar top-scored for the Irish side with a 28-ball 30. Opener Amjad Ali made 20 while Amjad Javed scored a brisk 19 with the help of three fours towards the end.
Ali struck fours boundaries while Anwar hit two sixes, in what was a mediocre batting display.
Ireland bowling was led by Paul Stirling (2/12) and Kevin O`Brien (2/17). The other bowlers chipped in with useful contributions as the UAE batsmen found the going tough in this crucial match.
There was a fourth-wicket partnership of 42 runs between Anwar and skipper Khurram Khan (16), but UAE kept losing wickets at regular intervals in the face of some inspired bowling by the Irish.
Placed third in the standings, Ireland have won the only match they have played so far, while UAE are yet to open their account. Ireland will now take on the Netherlands on March 21 at the same venue while United Arab Emirates have suffered their second defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India