World Twenty20: Sri Lanka`s prayers were answered, says Sammy
Mirpur: Divine intervention may have been partially responsible for Sri Lanka`s World Twenty20 semi-final victory on Thursday, according to West Indies captain Darren Sammy.
Chasing 161 for victory, holders West Indies were 80 for four in the 14th over when a hailstorm lashed the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.
The rain eventually relented but no further play was possible with the outfield saturated, leaving Sri Lanka the winners by 27 runs on the Duckworth-Lewis method.
Sri Lanka will now make their fifth final appearance in a global competition, having been beaten in the title showdown of the 50-over World Cup in 2007 and 2011 and at the World Twenty20 in 2009 and 2012.
Sammy felt that batting greats Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara, who are playing in their final Twenty20 tournament, were perhaps destined to taste World Cup glory at last.
"We know God normally answers our prayers but today I guess two gentlemen who have played for Sri Lanka, given a lot not only to Sri Lanka cricket but cricket as a whole, I guess the Almighty wants them to leave on a high," Sammy told reporters.
"They have one more game to try and win a World Cup. Probably that`s the reason why God put His hand up in this match."
The pair had forgettable personal outings though.
Jayawardene was run out before facing a ball while Sangakkara continued his woeful form in the competition, falling for one after giving leg-spinner Samuel Badree a soft return catch.
Sammy said West Indies were capable of chasing down their victory target if the full 20 overs had been possible.
"Just when Dwayne Bravo (30) looked like picking it up, like he did in the last game, he got out but I still believe we could get 12 runs an over for the last six," the captain explained.
"We have been doing that in this tournament."
Sammy and Bravo plundered 82 runs in the final five overs against Pakistan on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!