ICC to regulate T20 tournaments: Lorgat
London, Sept 24: As popularity of the Twenty20 format of the game seems going through the roof, the latest is that International Cricket Council (ICC) is considering regulating the spree of T20 tournaments to protect the attraction of international cricket.
"All these tournaments are springing up and what we are trying to do is regulate them in a more effective way. A private businessman might have different ambitions but we have to protect the game of cricket," ICC Chief Executive Officer Haroon Lorgat was quoted as saying.
"Twenty20 is an opportunity that people have spotted they can take advantage of, but that doesn`t detract from what has been agreed by all members that we will not sacrifice nation-v-nation cricket. Everyone recognises its importance. People are not disregarding it," he said.
Interestingly, Lorgat`s comment came days after six Bangladesh cricketers, including former captain Habibul Bashar, resigned from the national team in an apparent move to join the Indian Cricket League (ICL).
"If there wasn`t an interest in the sport there wouldn`t be so many challenges. I would rather come into a scenario where things are moving at great speed, with new forms of cricket and a new audience," the South African added.
The lucrative Indian Premier League, brainchild of BCCI vice-president Lalit Modi, was a huge success in India and the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 tournament will also be held here in December.
The ICL will also start its third session from October 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next