ICC U-19 World Cup: Deepak Hooda guides India to 42-run win over Pakistan
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
Deepak Hooda claimed a five-wicket haul as India defeated Pakistan in their opening match of the ICC U-19 World Cup played at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, by 42 runs.
India skipper Vijay Zol won the toss and decided to bat first. Openers Ankush Bains and Akhil Herwadkar got the team to a good start as they added 65 runs for the opening-wicket partnership, post which India lost four wickets in quick successions.
But Sanju Samson (68) and Sarfaraz Khan (74) steadied the ship, as they added 119 runs for the fifth-wicket partnership. India reached a total of 262 runs at the end of 50 overs.
In reply, Pakistan got to an even better start as their openers Sami Aslam (64) and Imam-ul-Haq (39) laid a solid foundation with a century partnership for the first wicket. Aamir Gani got the first breakthrough for India when he dismissed Imam-ul-Haq for 39. Pakistan then lost wickets at regular intervals, as Deepak Hooda ripped through their middle-order and went on to claim a five-wicket haul.
After the brilliant opening stand, none of the batsmen could build partnerships as Pakistan lost the match by 40 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what