ICC warns SLC over `poor` quality of Galle pitch
Dubai: The ICC on Friday let off Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) with a warning for the poor quality pitch at Galle which hosted the Island nation`s first Test of a three-match series against Australia in August.
The move follows a report submitted by Match Referee Chris Broad to the ICC expressing his concerns over the quality of the pitch prepared for the match which Australia won by 125 runs.
The ICC has the power to impose a sanction ranging from a warning and/or fine (for a first offence) to a suspension of the international status of the venue in the case of repeated offences.
The ICC`s General Manager, Cricket, David Richardson, and chief match referee, Ranjan Madugalle, considered the match referee`s report, a response from SLC and the video footage of the match, before passing the judgement.
"We have come to a decision that the pitch prepared for the match should be rated as `poor`," Richardson said.
"It was clear from the video footage of the match that the amount of turn, especially early in the match, was excessive and there were occasions (even on the first day) where the ball went through the surface of the pitch, bouncing unusually steeply from a good length," he added.
"Whilst it is understandable and acceptable for a pitch to deteriorate over the course of the match, for a pitch to exhibit this type of behaviour at relatively early stages of the match was not acceptable.
"We do not wish to see a pitch that is too heavily weighted in favour of the batsmen, in this instance, the balance was just too much in favour of the bowler," Richardson insisted.
The duo reiterated that since it was for the first time that a pitch at Galle has been rated as "poor", the SLC has been let off with a warning.
"Taking into account that it was the first time that a pitch at Galle has been rated as `poor` and given the intention of the curator to prepare a pitch that provided a fair balance between bat and ball, we have decided to impose a warning as the sanction," Richardson revealed.
Meanwhile, the ICC has directed pitch consultant Andy Atkinson to carry out an inspection of the square and make recommendations on any corrective action that may be required.
The SLC, in turn, is to submit a report to the ICC confirming that the corrective actions, as advised by the pitch consultant, had been carried out prior to the staging of the next international match at the venue.
The inspection by Atkinson will be carried out at the end of this month.
"We have also directed that ICC`s pitch consultant Andy Atkinson to carry out an inspection of the square with a view to making recommendations to ensure that in future the manner of preparation is in line with what is required and to ensure that a better balance between bat and ball is achieved," Richardson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon