New Delhi: The uncertainty over the venue of the much-awaited ICC World Twenty20 between India and Pakistan continues to grow as ex-servicemen refuse to give a go ahead to the marquee clash.
According to a report in The Times of India, Indian Ex-Servicemen League's state president Major Vijay Sing Mankotia asked the government to first bring the head of Pakistani militant Masood Azhar to India and then talk about hosting the match in Himachal.
“We have decided to launch Operation Balidaan (sacrifice) to oppose the match,“ he said.
Mankotia further claimed that intelligence reports had suggested that around 7,000 Pakistani spectators would be coming through Kashmir for the match. “The situation could deteriorate if they raise the Pakistani flag," he threatened.
Earlier, BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur met Himachal Pradesh chief minister on Wednesday and said in a press conference yesterday that as per the Indian board, the match was on schedule.
Singh, who had earlier raised security concerns over the much-awaited encounter between the two rivals, said that Thakur needed to speak to the families of martyrs and ex-servicemen body.
“I told him that the government was fully competent to provide necessary security to the players, but he should go and talk to the families of martyrs and ex-servicemen body. If they have no problem and agree not to oppose the match, the government will not have any issue. Ball is in Anurag Thakur’s court,” he was quoted as saying by The Indian Express.
"Himachal Pradesh government will speak to the people who have raised concerns over the India vs Pakistan match in Dharamsala," Thakur said on Thursday at a press conference.
Earlier, backing Dharamshala as the venue, Thakur said that the schedule and the venues were decided much in advance and the fans across the globe had booked their tickets as well.