Imran Khan blasts ICC`s `colonial` revamp
Karachi: Pakistan legend Imran Khan slammed controversial plans to reform cricket`s governing body today, saying they would take the game back to the days of colonialism.
Moves to restructure the ICC to hand power to India, Australia and England, the game`s financial powerhouses, were passed in principle during a board meeting on Tuesday.
Khan, who captained Pakistan to their sole World Cup win in 1992, said the proposals harked back to the days when England and Australia had effective right of veto at the ICC.
"If I was the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) head I would have strongly objected the new colonial system," Khan told AFP.
"I think the answer is to make the ICC more productive for the betterment of cricket."
No international cricket has been played in Pakistan since 2009, when militants attacked the visiting Sri Lankan team, and Khan warned the new proposals would hit his home country hardest.
He said Tuesday`s meeting at ICC headquarters in Dubai reminded him of one he attended in 1993.
"Then India and Pakistan were on the same page and they fought to end the imperialism in the ICC and wanted it to be run in a democratic way," Khan said.
"It became democratic until India, because of its big money influence and supported by Australia and England, made it back to square one."
Khan, who played 88 Tests and 175 one-day internationals for Pakistan, said the game was in "genuine crisis".
"There is a lack of quality in players, if you talk of spinners or fast bowlers or batsmen, and unless a correct mix is not found cricket will suffer," he said.
"The revenue is coming but money should not be decisive and that`s why the quality is suffering which is disastrous."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...