In-form Sangakkara thwarts Bangladesh again
Chittagong: Kumar Sangakkara was on the brink of a rare landmark as Sri Lanka moved towards an impregnable lead in the second and final Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong on Friday.
Sri Lanka went to tea on the fourth day on 195-3 in their second innings, an overall lead of 356 runs with seven wickets in hand on a sluggish pitch at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium.
Left-handed Sangakkara, who slammed a monumental 319 in the first innings, held the faltering innings together with an unbeaten 90 at the break.
Sangakkara is now just 10 runs away from joining Englishman Graham Gooch as the only batsmen to score a triple-century and century in the same Test.
Gooch made 333 and 123 against India at Lord`s in 1990.
Off-spinner Mohammad Mahmudullah dismissed both openers, Dimuth Karunaratne and Kaushal Silva, in his first three overs before lunch to leave the tourists tottering at 49-2.
Left-handed Karunaratne was snapped up smartly in the slips by Nasir Hossain for 15, while Silva was trapped leg-before for 29.
Shakib Al Hasan then claimed Mahela Jayawardene leg-before for 11 early in the post-lunch session as Sri Lanka slipped to 78-3.
But Dinesh Chandimal helped Sangakkara add 117 for the unbroken fourth wicket as he went to tea on 49 not out.
Earlier, Bangladesh were bowled out for 426 in their first knock within 25 minutes of the start in reply to Sri Lanka`s 587.
Spinner Ajantha Mendis finished with six for 99, having claimed both the remaining wickets after Bangladesh resumed the day at 409-8.
Mendis dismissed Mahmudullah with the morning`s fourth delivery, forcing a catch to short-leg before the batsman had added to his overnight score of 30.
Al-Amin Hossain was bowled by Mendis for nine, leaving last man Abdur Razzak unbeaten on 11.
Off-spinner Dilruwan Perera supported Mendis with three wickets, while seamer Suranga Lakmal took one.
The tourists are looking to sweep the short series after winning the first Test by an innings and 248 runs in Dhaka last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!