In-form Sangakkara thwarts Bangladesh again
Chittagong: Kumar Sangakkara was on the brink of a rare landmark as Sri Lanka moved towards an impregnable lead in the second and final Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong on Friday.
Sri Lanka went to tea on the fourth day on 195-3 in their second innings, an overall lead of 356 runs with seven wickets in hand on a sluggish pitch at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium.
Left-handed Sangakkara, who slammed a monumental 319 in the first innings, held the faltering innings together with an unbeaten 90 at the break.
Sangakkara is now just 10 runs away from joining Englishman Graham Gooch as the only batsmen to score a triple-century and century in the same Test.
Gooch made 333 and 123 against India at Lord`s in 1990.
Off-spinner Mohammad Mahmudullah dismissed both openers, Dimuth Karunaratne and Kaushal Silva, in his first three overs before lunch to leave the tourists tottering at 49-2.
Left-handed Karunaratne was snapped up smartly in the slips by Nasir Hossain for 15, while Silva was trapped leg-before for 29.
Shakib Al Hasan then claimed Mahela Jayawardene leg-before for 11 early in the post-lunch session as Sri Lanka slipped to 78-3.
But Dinesh Chandimal helped Sangakkara add 117 for the unbroken fourth wicket as he went to tea on 49 not out.
Earlier, Bangladesh were bowled out for 426 in their first knock within 25 minutes of the start in reply to Sri Lanka`s 587.
Spinner Ajantha Mendis finished with six for 99, having claimed both the remaining wickets after Bangladesh resumed the day at 409-8.
Mendis dismissed Mahmudullah with the morning`s fourth delivery, forcing a catch to short-leg before the batsman had added to his overnight score of 30.
Al-Amin Hossain was bowled by Mendis for nine, leaving last man Abdur Razzak unbeaten on 11.
Off-spinner Dilruwan Perera supported Mendis with three wickets, while seamer Suranga Lakmal took one.
The tourists are looking to sweep the short series after winning the first Test by an innings and 248 runs in Dhaka last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India