Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: As India suffered humiliating defeat by 10 wickets against England in 2nd Test, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) defended Tendulkar saying that the right-hander alone wasn’t responsible for the defeat.
Senior BCCI official and IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla on Monday came out in support of the senior batsman saying one needs to look at his "colossal record" before making any comment.
"He will hang up his boots when he thinks it's time for him to go. He does not need any advise on this. Before making a comment on his performance you have to see his colossal record and his past performance," Shukla told reporters outside the Parliament adding that the veteran cricketer will come back strongly in the forthcoming matches.
The BCCI said that Tendulkar and the selectors will take a call on his retirement and no third party will do so. Further backing the batting stalwart, the board said the 39-year-old remains to be a great batsman and one series alone cannot decide somebody’s future.
Speaking to Zeenews, former Indian wicket-keeper Kiran More said that the entire batting order collapsed at the same time and raising questions against Tendulkar’s form should not be the solution.
In the second Test against England, Tendulkar scored a total of 16 runs in both the innings on his home ground at the Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. He was dismissed in both the innings by England left-arm spinner Monty Panesar who wrecked havoc as he picked 11 wickets in the 2nd Test.
The Little Master hasn’t been able to meet with the expectations and the critics have pitched in for his retirement saying that he should now call it a day thereby making way for youngsters.
Tendulkar has been battling poor form for sometime and his last 10 innings have yielded just 153 runs at an average of 15.3, the lowest by an Indian top-order batsman in the corresponding period. The last time Tendulkar reached the three figure score in Tests was in January last year against South Africa.
With PTI inputs