Floodlights used in Test at Eden for first time
Kolkata: For the first time in 78 years of Test cricket played at the Eden Gardens here, the floodlights were switched on Wednesday on day one of the India-England match.
The floodlights were used for the last eight overs of the day`s play to offset problems caused by poor daylight.
India were then 251/6 in their first innings, with M.S. Dhoni and Ravichandran Ashwin in the middle.
The lights were switched on in the 83rd over, and play continued for 40 minutes thereafter.
Eden had hosted its first Test in 1934 between India and England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest