It`s 60-40 in India`s favour against England: Boycott
New Delhi: India might have lost the recent ODIs against Pakistan but former England captain Geoffrey Boycott feels that the hosts still stand a better chance of winning the five-match series against England, starting in Rajkot on January 11.
"...It`s about 60-40 in India`s favour, I would say, in this series to come," said Boycott.
"I don`t think India will be as tough to beat as they were. They`ll still be tough in their own country, they`ve still got a lot of other good players.
"(MS) Dhoni is a fantastic player, there`s (Virat) Kohli -- they are good players. It just gives England a bit more of a chance, maybe, but I believe India are right to try and plan ahead and move forward," Boycott told ESPNcricinfo.
"India are trying out one or two new fast bowlers. They are making Ravindra Jadeja a major spinner; we all know about his batting, and his triple-hundreds, but you make him like a spinner, get some young fast bowlers in, because Zaheer Khan is more or less past it," he added.
The ex-English cricketer said the Indian team should not get too worried as the recent slump of form can be attributed to the transition phase it is going through after the retirement of seniors such as Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid.
"I like young batsman (Ajinkya) Rahane, he looks promising. And I know that losing to Pakistan may hurt a lot of supporters of Indian cricket. That`s part and parcel of moving forward, trying new guys, moving towards an end product which is the World Cup in Australia.
"You`ve always got to remember you are the world champions," Boycott said.
He said it is important to try new players as it`s only two years to go for the ODI World Cup.
"You`ve got nearly two years, a year and a half, to the World Cup. You`ve got to use that time in the one-dayers to form one or two youngsters to go with the experienced guys. You`ve got to move forward and give these guys opportunities to see how they perform," stressed Boycott.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know