Performance in Ranji Trophy never goes in vain: Awana
New Delhi: Nearly nine years ago, 18-year-old Parvinder Awana from Harola village in Noida, and 19-year-old Ashok Dinda, from a hamlet called Naichanpur in West Bengal, decided to participate in the `Speedster Contest` by a popular channel in pursuit of better life.
"I came first in that speedster contest and Dinda came second. We both were very raw then with no experience of even age-group cricket. That was the start and now we both will share the Indian dressing room. It`s the biggest moment of my life but didn`t I work hard all this while for this day," an emotional Awana told PTI over telephone from Bangalore.
"I was batting on 42 today when the 12th man came in and gave me the news. It was such a relief that I changed my gears immediately out of sheer joy," said Awana, whose smashing 74 gave Delhi the first-innings lead against Karnataka in their Ranji Trophy match.
The 26-year-old, however, said that he was expecting a call-up sooner or later.
"Since I had back-to-back five-wicket hauls and I have been taking wickets, I felt there is an outside chance. It`s only that you don`t know till you officially hear it.
He has been the find for Kings XI Punjab in the last IPL but Awana attributes his success to his exploits for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy for the past few seasons.
"I knew that my good performances in the Ranji Trophy won`t go in vain. It`s serious first-class cricket. Wearing the India A jersey also made me realise what is expected at this level. I don`t want to try anything exceptional and stick to what I have been doing well so far," said the soft-spoken lad.
Five years of first-class cricket and money in IPL haven`t changed Awana one bit -- he is still the oh-so modest guy from a small village.
"Without my Delhi teammates and support of my mother and brother, I wouldn`t have been able to come this far," he excused himself as he wanted to speak to his mother after hard day in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview