Pietersen signs full central contract with ECB
Johannesburg: Kevin Pietersen has completed his comeback in the England team on Wednesday after he signed a full central contract with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). Pietersen’s international career was caught in limbo in August last year when he was dropped for the final Test against South Africa over claims he sent text messages to rival players criticising then-England captain Andrew Strauss, Sports24 reports.
The South Africa-born batsman subsequently returned to the squad towards the end of 2012, but was only tied to a short-term contract that was due to expire at the end of the month, it further reported. However, limited-overs coach Ashley Giles confirmed on Wednesday that the 32-year-old has now signed a full central contract with the ECB that puts him on a par with the rest of his England team-mates, the paper said.
The current set of central contracts is due to expire at the end of September. Pietersen endured a turbulent 2012, which saw him announce his retirement from both 50-over and Twenty20 internationals and he even cast doubt over his future in the Test arena, shortly before he was axed from the side in August over a controversial exchange of text messages with the touring South Africa team, the paper added.
Pietersen missed the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka and was not given one of 10 central contracts distributed in September. However, after holding talks with the ECB he returned to the England squad in October and subsequently agreed to return in all formats of the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof