Stop criticising Tendulkar, says Ganguly
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Tuesday said that the media should refrain from criticising Sachin Tendulkar who is likely to play his last Test at the Eden Gardens starting on Wednesday.
Post Ricky Ponting`s retirement, there has been talks that Tendulkar should also follow suit, but Ganguly thinks otherwise.
"The retirement of Ricky Ponting does not mean that Tendulkar should also quit. We all hope he goes with his with his head held high. The problem with Tendulkar is that people always look at his negative sides. Nobody talks about his centuries and the wins he has given us," Ganguly told during a promotional event of STAR CRICKET`s hindi commentary panel.
Wishing Tendulkar luck ahead of his probable last Test at Eden, Ganguly said it`s important for him to get past 30-mark.
"It will be important for him to cross the 30-mark. If he gets past the mark, I`m sure he will go on to make it big at the Eden Gardens. Yes, he is 39 plus and is going through a slump in form but we all hope he gets back to runs soon."
Sharing the same platform, Navjot Singh Sidhu criticised media for talking too much about Tendulkar as he cited example of the Australian side supporting Mark Taylor during the former skipper`s bad form.
Sidhu said: "Media should stop criticising Sachin. Nobody has achieved what Tendulkar has. He is our pride (shaan)."
"We should need to respect our heroes. He is an institution in himself. But there are some legless men who are trying to teach him how to run. I remember Australia skipper Mark Taylor going a poor run and did not have a 50 for one and half years but Australia stuck to him. Taylor later went on to score a triple century."
Sidhu said change is not always the progress and the likes of Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara need a Sachin Tendulkar in the dressing room.
"We have no Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman... We cannot make wholesale changes, it has to be a mixture. The likes of Kohlis and Pujaras need one Tendulkar and a solid captain in the dressing room."
Harbhajan Singh hasn`t been in the best of form but Ganguly feels that the senior off-spinner is going through a learning curve.
"Harbhajan Singh is only 31 and has time left in him. He has to be patient. No player goes on improving, such lows do come..."
"I had gone through for five-six months. For Bhajji, it`s for a bit longer. More than 15 months or so. But he has to see it as a learning curve. To be patient is important. It would only brings the best out of you."
There were also talks about Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s defensive captaincy and his string of poor shows in the longer version, as Kapil Dev said: "He is still the best wicketkeeper we have seen. His records speak for himself.
"Like Sachin Tendulkar, we should give some more chance. He has the ability to make it big."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now