Wary Gambhir bats at Delhi nets ahead of team`s warm-up game
New Delhi: Not many people turn up at the state team`s net session the very next afternoon after having played a day-night game for the country but probably Gautam Gambhir has no option but to seriously think about ironing out the flaws that has crept into his batting.
The Delhi team will play the second practice game against the touring England side at the Feroz Shah Kotla ground which will be a day-night affair and Gambhir`s presence raised obvious questions as to whether he would be playing the match.
However, Delhi chief coach Vijay Dahiya clarified that neither Gambhir nor Virender Sehwag will be playing the match.
"Gautam has just come to have some serious net practice. He is not playing in the match tomorrow. Viru had also called up to inform that he is not coming," Dahiya said as he kept a close watch on senior opener`s batting.
Gambhir batted for a lengthy duration twice but never looked comfortable against the left-arm pace duo of Ashish Nehra and Pradeep Sangwan. Sangwan, who is unlikely to play tomorrow, was seen beating Gambhir`s bat on a number of occasions.
"Look, when you score runs, no one looks at your flaws but people talk about it only when you don`t get runs. If you ask me what`s the problem with Gautam, it is the lack of decisiveness in his footwork," the former India glovesman said.
On the match, Dahiya said that it will be a good opportunity for some of the Delhi players to showcase their skills as it`s an official List A match.
"When you are playing a quality side like England, there shouldn`t be any lack of motivation even though we haven`t qualified for the knock-outs of Ranji Trophy. A good knock or a good spell might help a player to come into prominence," Dahiya said.
With the Indo-Pak match being a low-scoring affair, does he expect the same to happen in their match, Dahiya replied,"I still don`t think that it was a 160-kind of track. Also I was surprised to find Pakistan batsmen playing Bhuvneshwar staying rooted to the crease. They have now played a few matches and have an idea as what to expected from him."
Delhi are expected to play one among the two left-arm spinners Pawan Negi and Varun Sood while Parvinder Awana leads the pace attack with Nehra and Sumit Narwal for company.
It will also be a good test for Unmukt Chand and Shikhar Dhawan as they will get to face an international standard attack.
The England side will like to forget the humiliating defeat in the first match against India `A` as regular skipper Alastair Cook will be playing the game. It will be interesting to see whether Stuart Meaker plays for England tomorrow while the team management decides on resting one among the trio of Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn and Tim Bresnan.
Delhi: Shikhar Dhawan(captain), Unmukt Chand, Mithun Manhas, Vaibhav Rawal, Rajat Bhatia, Jagrit Anad, Puneet Bisht, Pawan Negi, Sumit Narwal, Pradeep Sangwan, Parvinder Awana, Ashish Nehra, Varun Sood, Milind Kumar, Dhruv Shorey.
England: Alastair Cook, Joe Root,Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Joseph Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter(wk), Stuart Meakar, Eoin Morgan, Samit Patel, Kevin Petersen, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered