`Give iconic status to Indo-Pak series`
Karachi: Former Pakistan captains Rashid Latif and Moin Khan on Thursday urged the ICC to give India-Pakistan series the iconic status.
"The response to this ongoing short series and the way the people followed the first T20 match in Bangalore, it is a clear indication that the ICC needs to give iconic status to Indo-Pak matches," Latif told PTI.
"The ICC needs to keep a window open for Indo-Pak series in its FTP with special status after taking both Boards into confidence. That is the only way cricket relations between Pakistan and India will not be affected by the political scenario," Latif added.
Moin argued that the Indo-Pak matches are bigger than even the traditional Ashes contests.
"The huge interest around the world when Pakistan and India play against each other is enough to convince the ICC that iconic status must be given to such series," Moin also told PTI.
Moin said the quality of cricket produced in Indo-Pak matches was also very high because players from both sides put in their best to win matches.
The two former captains also urged the Pakistan and Indian Boards to schedule a Test series next year.
"Two T20 and three ODI matches is enjoyable but not enough to whet the appetite of cricket fans who want to watch Tests between the two nations," Moin said.
"I hope that things move on from this series and we can have a proper Test series soon," he added.
Latif said there was no better advertisement for the sport than a Indo-Pak series.
"Obviously there is lot of pressure involved in such matches and at times it becomes more than a cricket contest but once we have frequent series than these problems will go away," he said.
He also insisted that the clash between Kamran Akmal and Ishant Sharma was not unusual in the first T20 at Bangalore.
"Tempers run high and emotions are involved when so many people are watching the match. It is no big deal in my mind," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note