Junaid can be another Wasim Akram: Younis
Kolkata: Former Pakistan captain Younis Khan today heaped praise on Junaid Khan, saying the young left-arm pacer has the traits of becoming someone like legendary seamer Wasim Akram.
The 23-year-old pacer had left India in tatters reducing them to 29 for five to set up Pakistan`s six-wicket win in Ahmedabad and take a 1-0 lead in the three-ODI series.
"Good to see him the way he`s performing consistently, it`s a good sign for him and the team. If he keeps on doing that then we will find another great left arm fast-bowler of Wasim Akram type," he said.
"Junaid is keen and not living in the past. He`s living in the present and trying to improve. It`s a good sign for Pakistani team," the veteran of 79 Test and 246 ODIs said.
The ODI series marked a surprise return for Younis and the 35-year-old said there was no added pressure on him to perform at the Motera, even as he had a forgettable calendar in 2012 with 167 runs from 10 ODIs.
"There`s no pressure even before ODI. It was my comeback match but there was no pressure that if I don`t score I would not play the next game," Younis, who scored a 58 in his comeback match, added.
"I always try and improve my game to a level so that I can tell youngsters how to play."
Younis has two centuries from two Test matches at the Eden Gardens and he hopes to do an encore in the ODI as well.
"Allah karay aur eik century karoon. But I hope I play an innings that will help Pakistan seal the series," he said.
The senior pro said the team was backing the youngsters and it`s a good time to be in.
"When youngsters come in team they try to perform. So we don`t have big names but when a youngster gets a chance for a India-Pakistan match, they try and achieve something," he said.
"I always try to guide the youngsters. We all believe in sharing. Good teams are those who share good and bad times."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in