Misbah says good performance in T20s will earn Afridi place back in Pak ODI squad
Islamabad: Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq has given all-rounder Shahid Afridi some hope, days after being dropped from the one-day squad for India series, saying that the all rounder can retain his place in the 50-over squad is he performs well in the two Twenty20 internationals.
There was mixed reaction to Afridi’s exclusion from the 15-man ODI squad, with many fans welcoming the decision to do away with the ‘non-performing star’ while former players criticised the move.
Misbah, in an interview that also featured T20 captain Mohammad Hafeez, however, left the door open for Afridi’s return to the ODI squad.
“Dropping Afridi wasn’t an easy decision. But if he performs in the T20s, he will be retained for the ODIs,” Dawn.com quoted Misbah, as saying.
The beleaguered Afridi will have an added incentive to perform well in the T20s after chief selector Iqbal Qasim also hinted that the player could make a comeback in the ODI squad.
“Shahid is a very experienced player and we felt the time now was to give him a chance to focus on the two T20 matches as his form has not been consistent in the ODI matches,” Qasim said.
Afridi has been in torrid form of late, highlighted at the recent World Twenty20. He made only 30 runs in six matches, and picked up four wickets at 42.75.
In ODIs this year, he has scored 182 runs in 16 matches and taken 15 wickets at 43.13
The series, the first between the neighbours in five years, features two T20s and three ODIs beginning at Bangalore on December 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends