Tendulkar to play in ODIs against Pak and Eng: Channel claims
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar has intentions to play in the upcoming one-day series against arch rivals Pakistan and the subsequent series against England, a television channel claimed on Friday.
`Headlines TV` claimed that Tendulkar, who was woefully out of form in the recent four-match Test series against England in which he averaged a poor 18.66, had a discussion with chief selector Sandeep Patil over his future.
The veteran batsman expressed his intentions to play in the ODI series against Pakistan and England and the selectors were willing to go by his plans, the channel said, quoting an unnamed source for the story.
Tendulkar has not played in too many ODI series since India`s World Cup triumph in April last year.
The channel said he wants to play in the ODIs to regain form ahead of the high-profile Test series against Australia in February-March next year.
When contacted by PTI, chief selector Patil said his contract did not permit him to talk to the media on selection issues.
The channel talked to former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly on Tendulkar`s decision to play in the ODIs.
"I am not suprised with that. It`s good for him. If he needs to keep playing at the end of the Australia series, he needs to be in form and ODI are the best way for him to get in-form", Ganguly said.
"If he needs to continue, he needs to play all formats of the game and not have a start-stop career".
On the criticism about Tendulkar`s form, Ganguly said "critics don`t matter. It`s what selectors think and BCCI think. Sachin is too big for everyone. What he has achieved is beyond everybody`s reach. He has the ability and the right to call the shots", he said.
"I dont think any selector will ever ask him to retire or drop him. Don`t know if its right or wrong. He will decide whichever way he wants to go", Ganguly said.
Ganguly said if Tendulkar has decided to play the Test series against Australia, taking part in the ODIs will help him to get back to form.
"If he has decided to play the Test series against Australia then I think the eight ODIs will help get back the confidence which is required to get runs. If you score runs you go with much better frame of mind into Test matches. If he does well in the one dayers it will help him do well in test matches", he pointed out.
"I think Mahendra Singh Dhoni from his inside knew that he (sachin) would play againstt Australia being in the dressing room, being captain of the side you get to know even if its not spoken or no words are exchanged that this man is going to go on and I think it`s not bad.
"It`s about runs, performance and not names. He just hopes tendulkar performs as he has done that in 23 years and hope for the best. Performing Sachin Tendulkar is an assest to every team", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Muslim man removed from flight after attendant announced, 'Mohamed Ahmed, I will be watching you'
- Russia Doping: A chronology of major events
- 120 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in wide-scale operations by Afghan army, cops
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore