Virender Sehwag may be axed for England ODIs
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Out-of-form opener Virender Sehwag is all set to be sacked from the ODI team that would take on England in the upcoming series. The selectors, who will meet on Sunday to select the team, would have no option but to omit the Delhi batsman after some very ordinary performances with the bat in the recent past.
"Sehwag is a big player and the selectors are hoping he will score runs at the Kotla. If he is dropped for the England ODIs, his place in the Test team will also be in question. The team needs an in-form Sehwag for the Australia Test series, especially at a time when there is no Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman," TOI quoted a BCCI source as saying.
Not only Sehwag, some younger players like Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja are also under the scanner for poor their show. It was learnt that the selectors are not happy with Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja’s performance with the bat.
After his superb show in Tests, Cheteshwar Pujara might get a look-in in ODIs, too. He can replace Rohit Sharma in the middle-order.
If Sehwag be axed, Ajinkya Rahane will open the innings with Gautam Gambhir in the ODIs against England.
The third and final ODI against Pakistan in Delhi on Sunday may prove to be a very crucial match in Sehwag’s ODI career. If he fails to score in front of his home crowd, no one can save him from being axed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites