India `A` inflict 3-0 whitewash on New Zealand
Visakhapatnam: Ashok Menaria and Kedar Jadhav cracked half centuries to enable India `A` inflict a 3-0 whitewash on New Zealand `A` with a thrilling two-wicket victory in the third and final unofficial ODI match on Thursday.
India completed the task with four balls to spare with Mandeep Singh playing a 27-ball unbeaten 37-run cameo towards the end. He hit three boundaries and a six during the all-important knock.
Chasing a stiff 291-run target, the Indians suffered a top-order collapse before all-rounder Menaria scored a quickfire 69 off 52 balls that included two fours and eight sixes. He was involved in a brilliant 128-run fifth wicket stand off just 107 balls with Jadhav (57), which denied the Black Caps a consolation win.
A late counter-attack by Mandeep then made sure that the hosts won the match comfortably.
Having sealed the three-match ODI series already, India tested their bench strength today by giving a chance to spinner Jalaj Saxena and batsman Sanju Samson.
Earlier, opener Anton Devcich top-scored for New Zealand A with a 85-ball 66, studded with eight boundaries, while Corey J Anderson (59) and skipper Tom Latham (53) also hit half centuries each to contribute to the team`s total after India A asked them to bat.
The Indians were sloppy on the field today as they dropped two catches, including that of Anderson`s to allow the New Zealand post a huge total of 290 for nine.
Basant Mohanty (2/39), Menaria (2/45) and Jalaj Saxena (2/60) picked up two wickets each for India A.
In reply, India lost four wickets for just 79 runs on the board in 19.2 overs, despite opener Robin Uthappa scoring a fine 50-ball 46 with the help of six fours and a six.
Skipper Chand, who led by example in the series, scoring 94 and 59 in the first two ODIs, failed today, getting out for just 11. Menaria walked into the middle after Uthappa and Sachin Baby (16) were dismissed in successive overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’