India and West Indies cricket teams arrive
Bhubaneswar: The cricket teams of India and the West Indies arrived on Sunday to play the first one-day International (ODI) at the Barabati stadium at Cuttack on November 29.
The team members and officials were accorded a rousing welcome by officials of Orissa Cricket Association (OCA) at the Biju Patnaik airport after they alighted from a chartered flight.
The players were immediately taken to the team hotel in Nayapalli area amid tight security with commondos of elite Special Operation Group (SOG) and personnel of Odisha police escorting the buses, carrying the teams.
India team arrived from Mumbai sans its captain Virender Sehwag, dashing opener Gautam Gambhir and Suresh Raina.
The entire area in front of the hotel reverberated with shrill sounds of conch shells, drums and cymbals with the team members being welcomed with `Hulahuli" and garlands on their arrival even as scores of ecstatic people thronged to have a glimpse of cricket stars.
Meanwhile, elaborate security arrangements were made in the airport and in and around the hotel besides the route in between to ward off any threat to the teams, a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know