India colts thrash Sri Lanka in fifth place play-off match
Dubai: India colts salvaged some pride as they comfortably beat their Sri Lankan counterparts by 76 runs in a fifth-place semi-final play-off match at the ICC U-19 World Cup here on Monday.
In absence of skipper Vijay Zol, who was banned for breaching ICC`s Code of Conduct, the Sanju Samson led side piled up 291 for seven in the stipulated 50 overs at the ICC Cricket Academy ground in Dubai.
In reply, Sri Lanka were dismissed for 215 in 48.1 overs as Deepak Hooda starred with an all-round performance of unbeaten 76 off 57 balls with the bat and three for 31 in 10 overs with his off-breaks.
Shreyash Iyer (59) and Samson (40) also made useful contributions.
Hooda, whose poor penultimate over tilted the semi-final in England`s favour, hit seven boundaries and four huge sixes.
He added 81 runs in only 8.5 overs with Kuldeep Yadav (19 not out) holding one end up.
Earlier, Akhil Herwadkar (23) and Ankush Bains (29) added 57 runs for the opening stand, while Iyer and Samson added 87 runs for the third wicket stand.
Sri Lanka were never in the game as only opener Sadeera Samarawickrama (58) and Priyamal Perera (47) made notable contributions as Hooda and left-arm orthodox Karan Kalia (2/39 in 10 overs) snared five wickets between them for only 70 runs in 20 overs. Left-arm chinaman Kuldeep Yadav was expensive, but in the end got a couple of wickets.
Brief Scores: India U-19 291/7 in 50 overs (Deepak Hooda 76 no, Shreyash Iyer 59 no).
Sri Lanka U-19 215 in 48.1 overs (Sadeera Samarawickrama 58, Deepak Hooda 3/31). India U-19 won by 76 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam