India in dominating position after centuries from Rohit, Raina
Rustenburg: Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina joined the run feast with superb centuries as India A posted a mammoth 582 for nine against South Africa A to take command of the first unofficial Test, here on Sunday.
Sharma scored 119 while Raina blasted 135 as the two overnight batsmen ripped apart the home bowling attack on the second day of the match.
India skipper Cheteshwar Pujara had struck 137 yesterday to put his side in a strong position.
Sharma and Raina shared a 106-run partnership for the fourth wicket, which was broken when the former was caught by Temba Bavuma off JP Duminy at the fag end of the morning session.
India had resumed the innings at 281 for three and declared after rattling up a huge 582 for nine as Proteas failed to break the last-wicket stand between Shahbaz Nadeem (46) and Jaydev Unadkat (31).
The two batsmen added 82 runs for the last wicket.
South Africa were 20 for one in reply as Unadkat had opener Reeza Hendricks (10) caught behind.
Dean Elgar and Simon Harmer were at the crease when stumps were drawn for the day.
Rohit added another 49 runs to his overnight score before being dismissed, but not before tormenting Protea bowlers with 14 boundaries and two sixes.
It was Duminy who got the first breakthrough of the day when he had Rohit caught at the short leg by Temba Bavuma.
Joined by Ajinkya Rahane (10) in the middle, Raina continued to play his strokes, even as the the former got out cheaply when Duminy added another wicket to his kitty.
Duminy struck once again to get rid of Wriddhiman Shah (1) as India were reduced to 418 for six from 376 for four.
But that did not deter Raina from scoring at brisk pace. He brought up his ton in the 141st over.
And despite Duminy`s successive strikes, Raina in the able company of Ishwar Pandey continued to torment home bowlers.
The duo added 79-runs for the seventh wicket. The partnership was broken in the third session of the day when Wayne Parnell castled Raina.
The left-hander`s 135-run knock came off 177 balls with 14 fours and three sixes.
Pranell then got rid of Pandey and while Elgar removed Mohammed Shami (2).
However, Shahbaz and Unadkat frustrated the hosts bowlers with their rearguard action. They batted about 15 overs to add 82 runs to India`s total.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened