India one run away from becoming highest run scoring team in ODI history
New Delhi: When the Indian team scores the first run on December 5 against South Africa in the first One-dayer in Johannesburg, it will become the highest-run scoring team in the 50-over format of the game.
India and Australia are currently levelled on 1,82,881 runs from 841 (a world record) and 825 matches respectively. Australia though have far better winning percentage, having won 505 matches as against 423 of India. Pakistan are at the third spot among countries which have scored most ODI runs with 1,71,982 from 807 matches, followed by Sri Lanka on 146365 and the West Indies on 145260.
India are likely to remain on top for some time as they play five ODIs against New Zealand after the three-match South Africa series. Australia, on the other hand, play five ODIs against England after the Ashes series.
During the South Africa tour, Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is also expected to reach two personal milestones. He can become the Indian captain with highest ODI runs while leading the side. The record of most ODI wins by an Indian captain may also be his.
Dhoni has so far scored 5213 runs from 151 matches as captain and he is just 26 runs behind Mohammed Azharuddin who has 5239 runs from 174 ODIs as skipper. If India sweep the three-match ODI series against South Africa, then Dhoni will also go past Azharuddin as the India captain who has won most number of ODI matches under his charge. Under Azharuddin`s captaincy, India won 90 matches as against 88 under Dhoni`s skippership so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP