India`s tour of England: Stern test waiting for `reserve` opener Gambhir
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
After performing decently in the domestic league and then in Indian Premier League`s seventh edition, Gautam Gambhir has been called back in the Indian Test squad for the five-match Test series against England.
The Delhi opener last played a Test in December 13-17, 2012 against England. For the much anticipated tour, the southpaw has been given the role of a reserve opener. But chances are high that he gets a chance sooner or later in the series to prove his point in English conditions. He is the only player in the current Test squad who has played Test cricket in England along with the skipper MS Dhoni and Ishant Sharma.
In fact, the Delhi opener would be high on confidence after leading his IPL franchise, Kolkata Knight Riders to it`s second IPL title in three years. Gambhir has been good for Delhi in the Ranji season too. But after a forgettable start with the bat in the IPL-7, he got his Mojo back and played match-wining knocks for his side.
The role of openers during the England tour would be crucial for India, where the new duke ball seams and swings a lot. There is a possibility that openers Murali Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan would be Dhoni`s first priority but if any one of them failed to impress in the first couple of matches, Dhoni won`t think twice before giving Gambhir a chance to open for India.
In the first warm-up match against Leicestershire, Gambhir showed the glimpse of his former self by scoring a fluent fifty-run knock on the first day of their three-day game.
But probably it would be ageing opener`s last chance to prove that he still has a lot of cricket left in him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in