India sacrificing spirit of cricket for money and T20: Greig
London: Former England captain Tony Greig has urged the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to abandon self interest and embrace the spirit of cricket and govern in the best interests of world cricket, not just for India and its business partners.
Delivering the MCC Spirit of Cricket Cowdrey Lecture at Lord’s on Tuesday night, Greig insisted the BCCI was sacrificing the spirit of cricket for financial gain.
He said the longest format of the game was being marginalised because India were monopolising on the success of Twenty20 competitions - the Indian Premier League and Champions League.
“Unfortunately, India is pre-occupied with money and T20 cricket, and sees its IPL and Champions League as more important than a proper international calendar,” Greig said.
“To compound the problems, India has not only sold part of the game to private interests but some of her administrators are seen to have a conflict of interest, which makes it more difficult for it to act in the spirit of the game,” a daily quoted him, as saying.
The South African-born former all-rounder also criticised the BCCI for not embracing Decision Review System (DRS).
India is against the implementation of technology in cricket and refused to use it in last summer’s Test series against England.
Greig said: “It can’t be good for the game when the media devotes so many words and so much ink to bad decisions, which ultimately undermines the integrity of some results. The DRS is not perfect, but it does err in favour of the umpires` decisions and according to the ICC, fewer mistakes are made with its use. And furthermore, there is less conflict on the ground.
“India has two reasons for opposing it: One, because its superstars had such an embarrassing experience with it in the early days. Two, the BCCI argues that the DRS is too inexact. Ironically, the spirit of cricket is batting on both sides in this one.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory