India slip to third in ICC Rankings
Adelaide: The humiliating 0-4 whitewash at the hands of Australia today resulted in India dropping a rung to third spot in the ICC Test rankings with Michael Clarke`s team breathing down their neck just a fraction of a point behind in the table.
India, who entered the series in second place on 118 ratings points, have fallen to 111 ratings points while fourth-ranked Australia have boosted their standing in the Championship table after gaining eight ratings points which put them alongside their rivals, the ICC said in a statement.
However, Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s men are still ranked above Clarke`s men by a fraction of a point. When the ratings are calculated beyond the decimal point, India have 111.10 ratings points while Australia are on 110.80 ratings points.
Nevertheless, Australia will have a chance to move ahead of India when they travel to the West Indies in March to play in a three-Test series which will start in Barbados on April 7.
There, Australia will need to win the series by 1-0 or better to achieve the number-three position on the table.
Since December 16 2010, India have dropped from 129 ratings points to 111 ratings points.
In the last 13 months, India drew with South Africa (1-1) in South Africa, beat the West Indies in West Indies (1-0), lost 0-4 to England in England, beat the West Indies (2-0) at home before losing 0-4 to Australia in Australia.
The Test Championship table, unlike the ODI Championship table, is updated only after the end of the series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price