India slip to third in ICC Rankings
Adelaide: The humiliating 0-4 whitewash at the hands of Australia today resulted in India dropping a rung to third spot in the ICC Test rankings with Michael Clarke`s team breathing down their neck just a fraction of a point behind in the table.
India, who entered the series in second place on 118 ratings points, have fallen to 111 ratings points while fourth-ranked Australia have boosted their standing in the Championship table after gaining eight ratings points which put them alongside their rivals, the ICC said in a statement.
However, Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s men are still ranked above Clarke`s men by a fraction of a point. When the ratings are calculated beyond the decimal point, India have 111.10 ratings points while Australia are on 110.80 ratings points.
Nevertheless, Australia will have a chance to move ahead of India when they travel to the West Indies in March to play in a three-Test series which will start in Barbados on April 7.
There, Australia will need to win the series by 1-0 or better to achieve the number-three position on the table.
Since December 16 2010, India have dropped from 129 ratings points to 111 ratings points.
In the last 13 months, India drew with South Africa (1-1) in South Africa, beat the West Indies in West Indies (1-0), lost 0-4 to England in England, beat the West Indies (2-0) at home before losing 0-4 to Australia in Australia.
The Test Championship table, unlike the ODI Championship table, is updated only after the end of the series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened